Canning bushfire: Firefighters battle out of control blaze with alert level downgraded to watch and act

The alert level for an out of control bushfire in Perth’s southern suburbs has been downgraded.
Earlier this morning, the Department of Fire and Emergency Services issued a bushfire emergency warning for residents bound by Canning River, Ferndale Crescent, Wilcock Street, Latham Road, Metcalfe Road and Nicholson Road in Ferndale and the City of Canning about 6.10am on Thursday.
Residents in Perth’s southern suburbs were ordered to evacuate. However, the fire alert has since been downgraded to “watch and act” and DFES says homes are no longer under immediate threat.
The blaze — first reported about 4am on Thursday — is stationary and is contained and controlled.
It has razed about 20ha of bush land.
Despite the reduced threat, residents who have already evacuated are being told it is unsafe to return due to fallen trees, powerlines and other dangers caused by the fire.
Multiple water bombers can be seen actively fighting the blaze.

Canning resident, Marilyn, who did not want her surname used, said she woke to the smell of smoke at about 5am.
“I could actually smell the smoke while I was asleep so I got up and came outside to have a good look,” she told The West.
“I came outside and I could not see across the road at all because the easterly angle of the wind was blowing really thick smoke.
“Us neighbours were all up and out on the street watching to see where it was and keep alert.
“We started getting notifications on our phones saying ‘evacuate’ .... some of our neighbours who have a baby have already evacuated.”
Marilyn — who lives across the road from Canning River Regional Park — said she felt “pretty safe” but said she would rather stay at home and monitor the blaze.
“The fire is about 5km away now . . . you can hear all the fire engines starting to race and the helicopters have only really come in the last 10 minutes,” she said.
“I know we’re in the red zone, but watching the angle of the wind, I think we’re pretty safe here . . . I think it’s better to keep track of the fire, especially when we’re opposite the bush.

“I feel quite safe, there’s so many police and so many fire engines up there doing pretty well.”
Witness, Charlie, said he and his family evacuated their home at about 5.30am.
“We were sound asleep and we woke up to banging on the door ... so we evacuated immediately, we grabbed our passports, our phones, a cup of tea and went down to the IGA,” he said.
Charlie said his mate — who lives on Bridgeway Avenue, which backs onto the bushland — was watering down his roof with a hose.
“I called him on the phone, he says he’s okay but it’s right next to him ... he’s watering down his roof and is worried about ember attacks,” he said.
DFES is managing the bushfire.
Some roads may be closed.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails